Humanities and Cognitive Sciences Summer Institute for High School Students
The CCBS is excited to co-sponsor the 2nd annual Humanities and Cognitive Sciences High School Summer Institute! This week-long summer program provides a critical thinking environment for a uniquely diverse group of student scholars. During this stimulating week, students are presented the opportunity to explore fascinating concepts which unite the humanities and cognitive sciences.
August 10, 2015 - August 14, 2015
Ohio State campus
Application deadline: April 10th, 2015
- Where does creativity come from?
- Can reading comics change the way you feel?
- Why is Austen’s Emma Better than Hunger Games?
- What are the brain mechanisms involved in reasoning?
- How are music videos processed by your neural circuits?
If you’re curious about these questions you’ll want to join our world-renowned professors this summer at The Ohio State University!
Dates & Daily Schedule
August 10, 2015 to August 14, 2015.
- OSU professors teach 45-minute lectures throughout the day
- Lunch break and activities such as campus, lab and library tours
- Discussion with Team Leaders in the afternoon
- Return home at 3PM
Applications deadline: April 10th 2015 Applications consist of:
- A personal statement: What you might bring to the Summer Institute and what you hope to learn from the Summer Institute.
- School transcript. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Teacher recommendation. This can be mailed or e-mailed by your teacher—a teacher who is qualified to comment on your performance and ability in courses that best reflect your readiness to engage in the Summer Institute content. You may submit more than one recommendation letter.
- The application can be downloaded here.
Tuition is $575 and includes instruction, course materials, meals, and supervised campus activities. There is limited financial aid available in the form of partial and full scholarships. Aid is granted based upon need, as well as other factors including merit. Traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
For further information
Visit the Humanities and Cognitive Sciences Summer Institute for High School Students website: www.go.osu.edu/summerinstitute
Questions? Please contact:
Co-sponsored by Ohio State's Center for Cognitive and Brain Sciences; Office of Diversity and Inclusion; and the University Libraries.