Associate Professor, Computer Science and Engineering
- 2010 - : Associate Professor, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, OSU
- 2010 - : Courtesy Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics, OSU
- 2003 - 2010: Assistant Professor, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, OSU
- 2004 - 2010: Courtesy Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics, OSU
- 2003 - present: Member, Center for Cognitive Science, OSU
- 2003: Visiting Research Scientist, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Columbia University
- 2000-2002: Member of Technical Staff, Bell Labs Research, Lucent Technologies
- 1999-2000: Postdoctoral Researcher, International Computer Science Institute
- 1994-1999: Graduate Student Researcher, U.C. Berkeley and International Computer Science Institute
- Novel statistical methods for speech recognition
- Prediction of errors in ASR systems
- Discriminative language models
- Statistical investigations of linguistic phenomena in large corpora
- Spoken dialogue system design; spoken human-computer interface issues
- Natural language generation for spoken dialogue systems
- Information extraction from electronic medical records
- Multi-stream large-vocabulary decoding
- Spoken information retrieval
I also have interests in natural language processing, ASR language modeling, and computational linguistics (particularly computational phonology).
- Program co-chair, North American Association for Computational Linguistics Annual Meeting - Human Language Technologies Conference (NAACL HLT), 2012.
- Executive Committee, Center for Cognitive Science, The Ohio State University, 2011-present.
- Associate Editor, ACM Transactions on Speech and Language Processing, 2011-2013
- Finance chair, IEEE Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding Workshop (ASRU 2011)
- Member of IEEE SPS Speech and Language Technical Committee, 2006-2008, 2011-2013.
- Panels co-chair, IEEE Spoken Language Technology Workshop (SLT 2010)
- Publication chair, 2010 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing
- ACL Archivist, 2006-2010
- Executive committee, ACL Special Interest Group in Computational Morphonology and Phonology (SIGMORPHON), 2006-2007
- Publicity chair, IEEE/ACL Workshop on Spoken Language Technology, 2006.
- Student Workshop Faculty Co-advisor, HLT/NAACL Conference, 2004.
- Publicity chair, IEEE Workshop on Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding, 2003.
- Co-organizer, ISCA Tutorial and Research Workshop on Pronunciation Modeling and Lexicon Adaptation for Spoken Language Technology, 2002.
- Reviewer/program committee, Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Int'l Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, IEEE Workshop on Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding, IEEE/ACL Workshop on Spoken Language Technology, Interspeech, Human Language Technologies conference, Neural Information Processing Systems.
- Reviewer for the journals Speech Communication; Computer, Speech and Language; Compuational Linguistics; IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing; IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics; Machine Learning Journal; Journal of the Acoustical Society of America.