Humanities & Cognitive Sciences High School Summer Institute
Co-Directors: Dr. Angus Fletcher and Dr. Andrew Leber
The annual Humanities and Cognitive Sciences High School Summer Institute (HumCog) is a week-long summer program that provides a critical thinking forum for rising high school students to explore the big questions at the intersection of the humanities and cognitive sciences.
Cognitive Science: The scientific study of the mind, brain and its processes be they real, artificial or animal. It allows us to understand the process of thought, learning and mental organization through disciplines such as psychology, neuroscience, linguistics, and artificial intelligence.
Humanities: The study and analysis of people and the human experience that spans disciplines such as philosophy, literature, the arts, languages and history. It allows us to understand all that we do and create as humans.
At HumCog, students will learn about the correlation of brain sciences and the humanities. For example, new research in brain sciences can help us understand how we create and consume culture such as film, comic books, TV, poetry, short stories, and video games. Combining this knowledge with research being conducted in the humanities can help us better understand critical processes such as thought, feeling, and action in our scientific world.
For one week, students will spend their days on the beautiful Ohio State campus. They will spend the mornings with world-renowned professors in daily lectures and afternoons in group discussions and activities. Students will be introduced to research methods, as well as library and online resources. Through hands on laboratory activities and collaborative research with fellow institute scholars, students will get a glimpse of what it's like to be a student at The Ohio State University. At the end of the week, they will have learned central aspects of just how the humanities and cognitive sciences can work together to help us understand how we imagine, artistically create, and materially transform the world in which we live.
An interdisciplinary collaboration of professors has launched HumCog, developing its activities in partnership with Ohio State’s Office of Diversity and Inclusion and the Center for Cognitive and Brain Sciences.
The application window is currently closed. Please check back later for information pertaining to HumCog 2022.
Applications should contain:
- Completed application*
- High school transcript
- Essay – One page description of why you want to participate in the Summer Institute
*applications can be found on this webpage when the application window is open
The Center for Cognitive and Brain Sciences at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Co-sponsored by the Center for Cognitive and Brain Sciences and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
Dr. Angus Fletcher
Professor of English and Film
Dr. Andrew Leber
Director, Center for Cognitive and Brain Sciences
Associate Professor of Psychology
What will you do?
- Develop interests in neuroscience, cognitive science and basic research
- Acquire knowledge of how our emotions and thoughts work in everyday activities as well as in more specialized activities like making stories and consuming those stories
- Learn that the intersection of the sciences and humanities can teach us something foundational about what it means to be human
- Learn how research in the cognitive sciences can be applied to the humanities and vice versa
- Learn how issues in the cognitive sciences and humanities relate to the kind of knowledge and thinking skills that are needed for everyday life, including telling stories around the dinner table to watching your favorite TV show or playing your favorite video game
- Learn from and establish professional relationships with world-renowned professors at The Ohio State University
- Professional networking and possible letters of recommendation from college professors
- Open doors for opportunities to institutions of higher education
- Learn what it is like to learn at a college campus
- Help prepare students for the college experience
- Create professional relationships with advanced college student Team Leaders
- Create lifelong friendships with students who have similar interests
- Receive a certificate of completion